Monday 4 February 2019

LATE AFTERNOON AT COATE WATER

What a change in the weather today!  Overnight rain and milder temperatures (12 degrees according the car!) has meant most of the snow has gone, apart from some slushy parts which the sun hasn't quite reached.

This afternoon, on the garden feeder, was a female blackcap, which spent some time there, not as flighty as some of the other smaller birds so I could safely open the window without it flying off.  I occasionally get these birds during colder spells; they seem to like the suet block feeder when the starlings aren't after it. 

I was out in the car this afternoon so, with the sun out, I headed over to Coate water where a friend had reminded me that the black swan was still in residence. I'm not sure of its  history but I'm counting it anyway! 

I then made my way round the west side of the lake to an area where I know the  birds are often fed  with  bird seed placed purposefully on some wooden posts. It's also adjacent to a small inlet which has been favoured by a kingfisher on past visits. This proved to be the case today and a lady already there pointed it out to me. It was diving and then flying and landing on different branches nearer or further away and I watched it  for a while until it flew off through the trees. The kingfisher was  probably closer than I've ever had one although I needed to peer through the branches or lean over railings to photograph it!  


 female blackcap




black swan



not sure about the metal topped post but I quite like the lighting!

path around coate water with posts for bird feeding

kingfisher




No comments:

Post a Comment

SLIMBRIDGE SUMMER

  I finally caught a glimpse of the white spotted bluethroat at Slimbridge today, it was only a distant sighting but at least a tick for the...