Thursday 16 May 2019

MARSH FRITILLARIES

Having unsuccessfully searched for Marsh Fritillaries at Morgan's Hill, I decided to try Pewsey Downs Nature Reserve on the southern edge of the Marlborough Downs where they had been recorded a few days ago. 

There were more clouds about today, and an easterly breeze but I thought I would still be able to find some sheltered areas where butterflies might be seen. 

Once on the reserve I walked along the eastern side of the roadside hedge and soon found a green hairstreak on the hawthorn. A dingy skipper was also seen. The first orange butterfly I saw turned out to be a wall brown, but then a smaller butterfly came into view, and although it didn't settle, I was able to detect the pattern on its wings which identified it as a marsh fritillary. Shortly afterwards another I came across another and this time it settled, wings open. 

The hillside was covered in cowslips and above me I could see and hear skylarks singing. 

I continued my walk, and then made my way towards the top of the hill, exploring the banks and gulleys as I did so, where I managed to find  a common blue, brown argus, small heath and small coppers. Near the top of the hill, I found a further marsh fritillary. I decided to continue westwards towards the chalk white horse in the hillside, which would be sheltered from the wind, and in this area I found plenty more marsh fritillaries, around 25 in total I think. I managed to coax one with its wings closed onto my finger, from which it flew and landed on my camera!

I still didn't manage to see a grizzled skipper although one was recorded here recently... the search continues....




Marsh fritillary




small copper

white horse

brown argus



No comments:

Post a Comment

SLIMBRIDGE SUMMER

  I finally caught a glimpse of the white spotted bluethroat at Slimbridge today, it was only a distant sighting but at least a tick for the...