Tuesday 21 May 2019

DANEWAY BANKS

A beautiful afternoon for butterfly spotting at Daneway Banks reserve just outside Cirencester. I normally visit in June for the large Blue, but thought I'd pay an early visit to see what was about. I spent a couple of hours traversing the slopes; the most common butterfly was the common blue, but I did manage to find a couple of small blue butterflies, new for my year list. I also spotted a single  green hairstreak. 

In total I  found 11 different species; small blue, common blue, brown argus, green hairstreak, dingy skipper, small white, green veined white,  speckled wood, small copper, small heath and peacock, but still no grizzled skipper!  Am I going to miss this one again this year? 


 view of the reserve

carved post 

carved bench showing  life cyle of the Large Blue butterfly

common blue

brown argus

green veined white

poor shot of green hairstreak!

peacock

small blue

small copper

small heath

No comments:

Post a Comment

SLIMBRIDGE SUMMER

  I finally caught a glimpse of the white spotted bluethroat at Slimbridge today, it was only a distant sighting but at least a tick for the...