Friday 24 April 2020

PENTYLANDS COUNTRY PARK

Having frequented Highworth's golf course for several weeks, I felt it was time for a change so I decided to drive down the hill to the north of the town ( a few minutes in the car) and visit Highworth's country park. It consists of five fields surrounded by hedge rows and is popular with dog walkers, but also has a newer tree planted area leading to a wilder grassy area with bramble and other bushes. 

Over the past couple of days I have been able to add a few more birds to my slower than usual growing year list. The beautiful weather has made it  a pleasure to be out; birdsong everywhere and more butterflies on the wing. I have been taking my walks in the morning this week to avoid the hottest part of the day.

New species  this week included willow warbler, and whitethroat, also my first swallows of the year. Also my first red admiral butterfly.


whitethroat


willow warbler


wren

part of Pentylands

male and female orange tips


willow warblers favoured the area on the left


view from entrance to park


No comments:

Post a Comment

SLIMBRIDGE SUMMER

  I finally caught a glimpse of the white spotted bluethroat at Slimbridge today, it was only a distant sighting but at least a tick for the...