Saturday 22 July 2017

AN INTERESTING MORNING...

I got up at five o'clock this morning in order to be at Somerford Common by six o'clock. I had agreed to join some bird ringers I'd met recently, during their morning session there.

I had an enjoyable morning although things didn't start off very well, as when turning into the car park, I became aware something was wrong with one of my tyres, and when I looked, it had gone completely flat!  I called out the RAC but as  they didn't arrive till nearly the end of the session I was still able participate in the morning's activities. 


I accompanied the two ringers, Simon and Jonny  while they finished setting up the mist netting, and then we went to retrieve the first few birds, which included a juvenile robin and a chiffchaff. I was fascinated watching how each bird's feathers were  carefully examined to find out its age and what stage of moulting they were at each bird was weighed and wings measured and if unringed, given a ring, before being released. 

We  made several tours of the nets, each time collecting about half a dozen individuals. I was able to hold several of the birds and then release them and Simon then gave me  the opportunity to weigh, measure and ring a juvenile robin myself! I was surprised how small the birds seem when in your hand compared to looking at them in the wild. We had a range of species (of which  many were juveniles) which included  blackbirds, wrens, blue tit, spotted flycatcher, marsh tit, blackcaps, chiffchaffs, robins, dunnocks, long tailed tit, bullfinches, and garden warblers.

Our most exciting  catch was the spotted flycatcher, which apparently are rarely caught in the area. We also had a marsh tit which had to be coloured ringed as part of a project. 

I am very grateful to Simon and Jonny for allowing me to join them and share their knowledge. 
juvenile blackbird

juvenile blackcap

female bullfinch

male bullfinch

chiffchaff

garden warbler

male blackcap

 juvenile marsh tit which hung around a bit before flying off

dunnock

juvenile robin

spotted flycatcher




2 comments:

SLIMBRIDGE SUMMER

  I finally caught a glimpse of the white spotted bluethroat at Slimbridge today, it was only a distant sighting but at least a tick for the...