Monday 24 July 2017

SOMERFORD COMMON AND RAVENSROOST

Hoping for some breaks in the cloud, I headed over to Somerford Common, where I had been on Saturday for bird ringing. It had been sunny that morning and a photographer told me that he had found 15 species of butterfly. 

However, it remained cloudy and I had to be satisfied with 10 species, namely:
common blue
ringlet 
gatekeeper
meadow brown
silver washed fritillary
small copper
comma
peacock
large white
small skipper

I followed this with a trip to nearby Ravensroost, hoping I might get a glimpse of a purple hairstreak, but none were seen, but I did get a green veined white as well as those species above, but not the small copper. 


comma

common blue

green veined white

meadow brown

ringlet

small copper




silver washed fritillary

No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...