Wednesday 5 July 2017

HOT AFTERNOON

It was a hot afternoon  and perhaps a bit too hot for looking for butterflies, nevertheless I went in search of dark green fritillaries at Prestbury Hill reserve, having seen them there  a couple of years ago, but missed them last year. 

 A lot of butterflies about, but mainly flying, including plenty of marbled white, ringlets, meadow brown, small heath, a small tortoiseshell, red admiral and a couple of other whites which didn't stop so I couldn't identify them properly. 

I saw several dark green fritillaries zooming past me up and down the chalk hillsides, (they are very fast flyers) but it wasn't until I came into the 'valley' that I was able to find one stopping to feed. This particular individual flew along a section of the valley and back, stopping to feed on three or four different scabious plants at regular intervals, but only for a few seconds only. I had to keep my camera focussed on particular blooms to get any chance of a photos!

Number thirty six achieved!







No comments:

Post a Comment

SLIMBRIDGE SUMMER

  I finally caught a glimpse of the white spotted bluethroat at Slimbridge today, it was only a distant sighting but at least a tick for the...