Thursday 20 July 2017

BUTTERFLIES AT COATE WATER

I don't normally associate Coate Water country Park with butterflies, but having read of some sightings of small coppers on a 'grassy bank' there, that's where I headed after work today. 

Having worked out where I might find the butterflies, I walked part way round the lake to find  an uncut grass area, which had obviously been trampled on recently. A few butterflies were fluttering around the flowers there, and I soon identified meadow browns, gatekeepers and small skipper, and then a couple of common blues.  
common blue

common blue

small skpper


Then I spotted an orange coloured small butterfly which landed on a flower and turned out to be the small copper I was hoping for. It posed well for photographs, and in fact as I walked around this small area, I found at least six individuals. I don't know whether this is a hotspot for small coppers, but I shall have to find out, certainly a lot nearer than other places I have seen them. 
small copper




small copper, gatekeeper and common blue all on one plant


Butterflies seen at Coate today:
Red admiral, comma, common blue, small skipper, small copper, meadow brown, gatekeeper. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...