Saturday 1 July 2017

SILVER STUDDED BLUES

I've now seen thirty three species of butterfly this year, and my aim is to get over forty. So next on my list was the silver studded blue, which can be seen on heathlands.

Not wanting to go down to the New Forest, I discovered that Silchester common near Tadley has a colony of these butterflies so that was where I set off for this morning. The weather was cloudy but dry, with the possibility of brightening up later.

After a coffee stop at Sarah's, (who lives a few miles away) I found the car park without difficulty. Pamber Forest is right next to the common, so  I headed there first, looking for woodland butterflies.  With a lot of cloud around, there wasn't much activity, but I did manage to see one white admiral, and a couple of silver washed fritillary, as well as numerous ringlets and meadow browns, a few large skippers and one red admiral.
entrance to Pamber forest

ringlet

large skipper

silver washed fritillary

After eating lunch back at the car, I ventured onto Silchester common. Again it was still cloudy, and I wasn't sure what butterflies would be about. I saw  several meadow browns, and was just wondering if I would find any silver studded blues, when I saw a blue butterfly flying around some heather just in front of me. When it landed, I could see it was a very tatty male silver studded blue!
silver studded blue (male)

It started to brighten a little, and I waited around, hoping it would attract a few more of these little butterflies. Sure enough I soon noticed a female then a few more individuals, both female and males,all within a few square metres of heather. 
The females seemed much less worn than the males, but both tended to rest with wings open and I really wanted to get a photo of the silver studding on the underside of the wings. Eventually, I spied a female and managed to get a few clear shots. 
silver studded blue female

underside of wing showing 'studding' on hind wing.


No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...