Monday 17 July 2017

ASTON ROWANT

Another warm and sunny afternoon so I when I finished work at lunch time I drove straight over to Aston Rowant NNR   ( just over an hour away) in search of more butterflies. 

Once I had walked down to the chalk grassland which forms the reserve, I was surrounded by butterflies. I soon counted up to 15 species, chalkhill blues were a first for the year (there were many of these fluttering around, though difficult to  photograph with wings fully open). I was  also hoping for silver spotted skippers, seen last year, albeit slightly later on, and possibly small coppers, but didn't find either. 

species seen: gatekeeper, meadow brown, comma, small tortoiseshell, red admiral, peacock, large white, green veined white, brimstone, brown argus, ringlet, common blue, chalkhill blue, essex skipper, marbled white


gatekeeper

chalkhill blue

green veined white

brown argus

brimstone

the flower covered grasslands

comma

common blue


marbled white

small tortoiseshell and ringlet

small skippers mating

No comments:

Post a Comment

SLIMBRIDGE SUMMER

  I finally caught a glimpse of the white spotted bluethroat at Slimbridge today, it was only a distant sighting but at least a tick for the...