Monday 3 July 2017

THE EMPEROR

It had been a dry morning and it looked like skies were brightening so I thought it would be a good day to visit Savernake forest in search of the purple emperor. I saw them much later in the month last year, but there were reports of several  seen last week.

As I got nearer my destination, the wet roads gave evidence of a heavy shower and indeed everything was wet in the forest. I wondered if the butterflies would take time to dry out and if I should see any at all. I did notice a few meadow browns and ringlets around though. 
Having parked my car near the clearing where 'the column' is found, I walked around the grassy area, for at least  half an hour..nothing! 

A few patches of blue sky appeared which looked hopeful, but didn't produce any Purple emperors. So I was about to go home, when another car drew up, and the occupant proceeded to set up a tripod and camera with zoom lens. He was obviously expecting to see something, so I decided to wait a bit longer.. and unbelievably, as he approached the column, a purple emperor appeared and landed on the column!  Perfect timing! 





We managed a few photos, although the butterfly was quite high up and mine weren't very clear.  The next twenty minutes saw a couple more butterflies appear , one  landed low down, but only for a couple of seconds, and not enough to get a photo, unfortunately. 

However, that increases my total of different species to thirty-five this year so I was happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

SLIMBRIDGE SUMMER

  I finally caught a glimpse of the white spotted bluethroat at Slimbridge today, it was only a distant sighting but at least a tick for the...